04/04/2013

obakki changes their game.



I'm not one to be coy about something I love. If I'm into it, I'm into it, and I'm not going to tiptoe around the issue and pretend I'm not behind the cause. That all to say, I'm on board with Obakki.

Obakki is a Vancouver-based fashion brand that recently has turned 100 per cent humanitarian. While they have always designed beautiful, on-trend pieces rich with a story, now all the profits from the sales of the brand will directly feed Obakki's humanitarian efforts in South Sudan, where founder and creative director, Treana Peake, focuses her attention. The Foundation's main projects are water well drilling and bolstering education in local communities. Last week, The Province did a great feature on Peake and her hopes for Obakki.

I was lucky enough to intern with the brand last year and saw first hand the dedication of the team to making their passion count. What I love about Obakki is that their design is smart, current and wearable. Apart from their charity efforts, the clothes are beautiful and covetable - you want to wear them! But I love to see this step towards fusing both of Peake's loves together: now, fashion supports philanthropy.

Take some time to view their collections, read about the cause, and watch some of the stunning videos of South Sudan by Brian Ceci. Ahead are some of my favorites from the Spring/Summer '13 collection and the recent Preserved In Time collection.















1. Printed Silk T-shirt - original photograph of the Sudanese landscape ($295)
2. Draped Bustier Dress - beautiful draping and gathering, although recently sold out. Another option here.
3. Double Layered Silk Tunic - very on-trend with a sleeveless collar ($480)
4. Print Scarf - part of the new 'Preserved in Time' collection ($115)

P.S. If you can't make the investment, consider supporting the cause by snagging one of their very affordable signature scarves.
P.P.S. Older moments from early-on in my Obakki obsession that I still love: I, II

No comments:

Post a Comment